Girl Next Door - Month 5 - Dog Block May 01 2018
IT IS A PREREQUISITE OF MAKING THIS BLOCK THAT YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE PATTERN GIRL NEXT DOOR BY LOUISE PAPAS FOR THE JEN KINGWELL DESIGN COLLECTIVE.
Charlotte (@Kirkenoll) here. Coincidentally, yesterday (April 30th) was National Adopt a Shelter pet day. If you aren't able to bring a new fur baby home with you, maybe one of these fabric dogs will do instead!
Each month, I will share the fabric we used at Red Thread Studio and then layout the cutting checklist. I have also provided cutting tabs that you can download and print out. These are useful to keep track of the various pieces used in this scrappy quilt. At the end, I will also give some useful tips that I encountered when piecing the sample.
Feel free to comment here, on Instagram or in the Girl Next Door Quilt-Along Facebook group with any questions. Don't forget to share your photos of your work in progress either on Instagram or Facebook each week for a chance a monthly prize! Just use the hashtag #GirlNextDoorQAL.
Choose Your Fabric
Stripes and Plaids work well for these adorable pups!
Cutting Checklist - make two 9” x 9” blocks
Dog Fabric - cut for each dog block
- 1 x T50 - use template - might want to fussy cut - 3 ½ x 5 ½ - body
- 2 x T51 - 2 ¼ x 2 ¼ - cut on the diagonal - big leg part
- 2 x T52 - 1 ½ x 1 ½ - cut on the diagonal - small leg part
- 1 x T53 - use template - might want to fussy cut - 2 ½ x 3 - head - nose end should not be white
- 2 x T54 - 1 ¼ x 1 ¼ - cut on the diagonal - tail and ear - fussy cut mostly solid parts
Collar Fabric - cut for each dog block
- 1 x T55 - 1 x 2 ¼
Background Fabric - white main background fabric - cut for each dog block
- 1 x T56 - 1 x 1
- 1 x T57 - 4 ¼ x 4 ¼ - cut on the diagonal to make two triangles
- 1 x T58 - use template* - 3 x 5
- 1 x T59 - use template* - 1 ½ x 5 ¼
- 1 x T60 - use template* - 1 ¼ x 5
- 1 x T61 - 1 ⅞ x 1 ⅞ - cut on the diagonal to make two triangles
- 1 x T62 - use template* - 3 x 1 ½
- 1 x T63 - use template* - 1 ½ x 2 ½
- 1 x T64 - use template* - 2 x 3
Cut the 4 corner triangles (T65, T66, T67, T68) bigger to make the block larger then trim down to exact size - 9” x 9”.
- 4 x T65 - 6 x 6 - cut on the diagonal to make eight triangles
* trace these pieces using a light box or up against sunny window if you wish
Dog Cutting Tabs
If you wish you can cut up tabs and place with your cut fabric pieces. See attached Cutting Tabs.
Follow Pattern Assembly instructions to piece dog blocks
- It seems like it takes forever to cut his block out, especially the white background pieces. The good news is it pieces together quick and easy then looks great!
- Match dog head/collar section to dog body.
- I made the 4 corner triangles (T65, T66, T67, T68) bigger to piece the block larger then cut down to exact size.
- When sewing the corners triangles be careful to keep those dog leg pointy.
- When blocks are completely pieced give it a final press on a fluffy towel using just a little Magic Sizing to flatten all the seams nicely.
- Each dog block should measure 9” square so will need to trim to get that final perfect size to fit in those corners.