Girl Next Door - Month 8 - Shop Block August 01 2018 2 Comments
IT IS A PREREQUISITE OF MAKING THIS BLOCK THAT YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE PATTERN GIRL NEXT DOOR BY LOUISE PAPAS FOR THE JEN KINGWELL DESIGN COLLECTIVE.
Charlotte (@Kirkenoll) here. We are in the home stretch now that your 24 houses are done. This month we have four shops. You can choose to join them to your houses or wait for the final month where I share tips and tricks for joining the sections.
Each month, I will share the fabric we used at Red Thread Studio and then layout the cutting checklist. I have also provided cutting tabs that you can download and print out. These are useful to keep track of the various pieces used in this scrappy quilt. At the end, I will also give some useful tips that I encountered when piecing the sample.
Feel free to comment here, on Instagram or in the Girl Next Door Quilt-Along Facebook group with any questions. Don't forget to share your photos of your work in progress either on Instagram or Facebook each week for a chance a monthly prize! Just use the hashtag #GirlNextDoorQAL.
Choose Your Fabric
For the shops, we used plaids for the roofs and florals for the buildings. I snuck in a few fussy cuts from my personal stash for the windows. For those of you who receive the monthly fabric packs from Red Thread Studio, you will find some sewing and animal prints to consider or you can also search your stash for fun fussy cutting possibilities.
Cutting Checklist - make 4 8 ½” x 8 ½” shop blocks
Cut for each 8 ½” x 8 ½” shop block:
Shop Front Fabric
- 1 x T93 - 1 ¼ x 7 ½
- 1 x T94 - 1 x 4 ¼
- 2 x T95 - 1 ½ x 4 ¼
- 1 x T96 - 1 ¼ x 3 ¼
- 1 x T97 - 1 ¼ x 4 ¼
- 1 x T98 - 1 ¼ x 1
- 1 x T100 - 2 ¼ x 4 ¼ - door
- 1 x T101 - 1 ¼ x 3 ¼ - step
- 1 x T102 - use template - 2 ¼ x 8 ½ - roof - may want to fussy cut - plaids are fun
- 1 x T99 - 3 ¼w x 3 ½h - may want to fussy cut something interesting - maybe a favorite from your own stash
Background Fabric - white main background fabric
- 2 x T104 - 2 x 2 - cut on the diagonal to make two triangles
- 2 x T103 - 1 x 5 ¾ - might want to cut bigger ( 2” vs 1”) then trim block down to exact size
- 1 x T105 - 1 ½ x 8 ½ - might want to cut bigger ( 2 ½” vs 1 ½”) then trim block down to exact size
Shop Cutting Tabs
If you wish you can cut up tabs and place with your cut fabric pieces. See attached Cutting Tabs.
Follow Pattern Assembly instructions to piece shop blocks
- Fabric choices: It’s fun picking out window, door and roof fabrics for this block. Might want to fussy cut something fun in the windows for extra interest. Maybe a favorite fabric from your stash.
- Each block should measure 8 ½” x 8 ½”. Trim or block to size as necessary.
- When blocks are completely pieced give it a final press on a fluffy towel using just a little Magic Sizing to flatten all the seams nicely.