Girl Next Door - Month 7 - House Block July 01 2018
IT IS A PREREQUISITE OF MAKING THIS BLOCK THAT YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE PATTERN GIRL NEXT DOOR BY LOUISE PAPAS FOR THE JEN KINGWELL DESIGN COLLECTIVE.
Charlotte (@Kirkenoll) here. It's hard to believe we are already in Month 7 of this quilt along. While we are nearing the end, there is a lot to do this month -- 24 houses, to be exact.
Each month, I will share the fabric we used at Red Thread Studio and then layout the cutting checklist. I have also provided cutting tabs that you can download and print out. These are useful to keep track of the various pieces used in this scrappy quilt. At the end, I will also give some useful tips that I encountered when piecing the sample.
Feel free to comment here, on Instagram or in the Girl Next Door Quilt-Along Facebook group with any questions. Don't forget to share your photos of your work in progress either on Instagram or Facebook each week for a chance a monthly prize! Just use the hashtag #GirlNextDoorQAL.
Choose Your Fabric
For the houses, we included some black, brown and grey florals along with stripes and plaids to incorporate with the bright florals and prints used for the girlies. I had fun searching for fussy cuts to use in the windows. Get creative!
Cutting Checklist - make 24 8” x 6 ½” house blocks - 6 houses in each border side
Cut for each 8” x 6 ½” House Block:
- 4 x T83 - 1 ½ x 2
- 2 x T84 - 2 x 3 ½
- 1 x T86 - 1 ¼ x 8 - cut first
Assorted Prints - - may want to fussy cut some of them
- 1 x T85 - 2 x 3 ½ - door
- 1 x T87 - use template - 8 x 2 ¾ - roof - plaids are fun
- 1 x T91 - use template - 1 ½ x 2 - chimney
- 2 x T83 - 1 ½ x 2 - may want to fussy cut some of them
Background Fabric - white main background fabric
- 1 x T88 - use template* - 4 ½ x 3
- 1 x T89 - use template* - 1 ¾ x 3 1/2
- 1 x T90 - 1 ½ x 1
- 1 x T92 - use template* - 3 x 1
*Note: I cut strips then subcut using the templates
House Cutting Tabs
If you wish you can cut up tabs and place with your cut fabric pieces. See attached Cutting Tabs.
Follow Pattern Assembly instructions to piece 24 house blocks
- Fabric choices: It’s fun picking out window, door, roof and chimney fabrics for this block. Might want to fussy cut something fun in some of the windows for extra interest.
- Make sure both window sections are arranged in the correct direction. Wondering why I’m saying that - I hate ripping out seams :-)
- Best to sew T86 seam with opposing seams facing up so you can see them while you sew.
- Then press both T86 seams toward that block to reduce bulk.
- These houses sew up easily but piece carefully because there is no easy way to make block bigger to cut down. Try to make one block first to see how close you are. Each block should measure 8” x 6 ½”. Because we are making 24 of these houses, I made a clear template with those measurements so I could trim or block to size as necessary. If you wish, make a horizontal line 2½” from top to match up to roof line. It’s not really necessary because there is no matching here like the girls' hands.
- Try to keep the roof top and side pointy if you wish - no stress if not perfect!
- Like the girls, making 24 house blocks can be a daunting task if you do them one at a time. I made one to understand the process and made sure it ended up the correct size. Then to make the rest, I cut all the fabric pieces and positioned them for sewing. That way I could pin and assembly line chain piece each section at one time following the pattern instructions and get them done much faster. Make sure you take pictures when you have the blocks organized so once you start chain piecing you can refer back if needed.
- Also keep in mind that the final construction includes a thin joiner strip between each house and a larger strip at the tops of three house groups so adjustments can be made later to get them all to fit horizontally and vertically.
- When blocks are completely pieced give it a final press on a fluffy towel using just a little Magic Sizing to flatten all the seams nicely.
In the meantime, for those of you in the USA, Have a Happy Fourth of July! For everyone, we are having a 3 day sale - 20% off of your order July 4-6th....just use code REDWHITE&BLUE at checkout.